Wirefly Releases Its Top 10 Most-Anticipated Cell Phone Launches
RESTON, VA — October 27, 2009 — The battle for wireless supremacy has never been more heated and carriers are preparing to duke it out for that coveted top spot by unleashing an arsenal of impressive devices for the holiday season. Blogs are buzzing. Gadget geeks are salivating. And eager consumers are waiting with bated breath to get their hands on these hot new cell phones.
Wirefly (www.wirefly.com), the internet’s leading authorized retailer of cell phone and wireless services, today releases its picks for the Top 10 Most-Anticipated Cell Phone Launches. Not surprisingly, the Android phone category, which continues to grow at a rampant pace, garners five of the ten spots. Carriers are also trying to capitalize on the success of older models by rolling out next generation handsets that they hope to be just as popular.
“The carriers and manufacturers have really stepped up their attack on the iPhone,” said Andy Zeinfeld, chief executive officer of Simplexity, parent company of Wirefly.com. “Some of the devices in this list have the potential of knocking it off of its smartphone pedestal if their claims of improving upon iPhone’s weaknesses are true.”
Wirefly’s Top 10 Most-Anticipated Cell Phones*
- Motorola Droid (Verizon Wireless) – The most anticipated cell phone launch of the season is just days away, but the hype for this the Motorola Droid smartphone has been building for quite some time. Verizon Wireless has invested heavily in a national “teaser” marketing campaign, while keeping the details about this Android-based device close to the vest. The Droid is the first commercial phone released with the new Android 2.0 platform, and has been dubbed the “iPhone killer” by many a technology-writer. Verizon Wireless is stoking the fire with a campaign that touts all the things the Droid does that the iPhone doesn’t – from running multiple apps, to a full slide-out keyboard, to changeable batteries and memory to a 5.0 megapixel camera that takes photos in the dark.
- Motorola CLIQ MB200 (T-Mobile) – The highly-anticipated Motorola CLIQ is the new king of the T-Mobile Android smartphone lineup, and the first since the original G-1 to have a full slide-out keyboard. What really makes it buzz-worthy, though, is that it utilizes the new MotoBlur user interface that syncs your social media, contacts, and e-mail in real time, providing instant access to the latest happenings and messages from friends. (The Cliq is currently available to existing T-Mobile customers, however, new customers will not be able to purchase the device until November 2nd, and therefore, it still garners a spot on our top picks.)
- Samsung Moment (Sprint) – Sprint’s second Android device, the Samsung Moment, mark’s Samsung’s entry into the Android smartphone market with a full slide-out keyboard and a first-of-its-kind AMOLED touch screen, providing unprecedented brightness that’s also kind to your battery life.
- LG Chocolate Touch (Verizon Wireless) – The LG Chocolate is an iconic Verizon Wireless phone, and this new touch version should be even sweeter than its predecessors.
- Samsung Behold II (T-Mobile) – The Behold II is the sequel to the very successful Samsung Behold but with one MAJOR difference – the latest version runs on the Android smartphone operating system. The Behold II also features a “cube menu” that provides quick access to six multimedia features at the flick of a finger: music, photos, videos, the Web, YouTube, and Amazon MP3.
- HTC Desire 6200 (Verizon Wireless) – Verizon Wireless is making headlines with the Droid, but is expected to follow quickly with a second Android-powered smartphone dubbed the Desire. The Desire will not have a keyboard, and will boast HTC’s touch screen “Sense” interface that has won rave reviews on the HTC Hero.
- Sprint Palm Pixi (Sprint) – The Sprint Palm Pixi is being touted as a tiny, sleek webOS-based handset that offers many of the same features and functionality as the Pre without the hefty price tag.
- BlackBerry Storm 2 (Verizon Wireless) – This next generation of the touch screen BlackBerry Storm looks similar to the original model on the outside, but boasts notable improvements on the inside such as a Wi-Fi radio, sleeker design, and an improved SurePress typing system.
- BlackBerry Bold 9700 (AT&T & T-Mobile) –This smartphone is an updated version of the high-end Blackberry Bold that hit the market last year. It is thinner and lighter with a faster Web browser than its predecessor and replaces the original Bold’s track ball with an optical track pad.
- LG Shine 2 (AT&T) – The successor to the immensely popular Shine; but as its name indicates, it promises to be twice as sleek and sexy.
Zeinfeld continued, “Although not all of these devices have confirmed launch dates, we look forward to offering them to our customers on Wirefly.com, where they will be able to easily compare devices and rate plans across all wireless carriers to find the best fit for their needs.”
*Until the devices listed in the Wirefly Top 10 officially launch, all information provided is speculative. The descriptions, including applications and features, are subject to change and pricing has not been confirmed at this time.
Wirefly.com is America’s trusted source for cell phones, wireless service plans and wireless accessories. Owned and operated by Simplexity, Wirefly.com is the Internet’s #1 authorized dealer for every major cellular carrier in the U.S. Wirefly.com also offers discounts and services not available in retail wireless stores, including real-time online order status and tracking, and the guaranteed lowest price – online or anywhere else — on cell phone devices from Motorola, Nokia, Samsung, LG, BlackBerry and many other cell phone handset manufacturers. Wirefly.com has been named Best of the Web by Forbes magazine as the “best all-around number portability portal” and “Best in Overall Customer Experience” by Keynote Performance Systems. For more information on Wirefly.com, its wireless products and its services, visit www.wirefly.com.
Shop Now for Phones from AT&T Wirelesss, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless.
- Wirefly Releases List of Top Ten Cell Phone Accessories
- Wirefly Releases It’s Cell Phone Gift Guide for Dads and Grads
- Wirefly Launches Unlocked Cell Phone Category
- Wirefly Releases Results of Its Cell Phone Feature Survey