Sprint is now busy conducting trials on a program that has the major wireless carrier team up with engineering company MasTec in rolling out Magic Box small cell technology for a number of business clients.
As more and more wireless carriers in the United States take full advantage of fiber in order to supply backhaul and other connections to small cells in anticipation of 5G deployments by the end of this decade, it is pretty understandable why some would think that traditional tower companies would feel threatened. But according to MoffettNathanson Research, tower companies should not be too worried.
This year, Wi-Fi-centric mobile operator Boingo Wireless is planning to ramp up its deployments of small cells in multiple venues with multiple carriers. According to David Hagan, the chief executive officer of Boingo, the focus of the roll outs will be at entertainment venues as well as at military bases.
During the final quarter of 2016, Boingo Wireless had revealed that it had completed its first ever small roll out at a convention center located just outside of the city of Chicago in Illinois. Also this week, Hagan also made mention that Boingo is attracting interest from other carriers, especially with regards to finding a solution for enhancing cellular coverage at entertainment venues and military bases, most of which are situated in remote areas.
Next month, the top two football teams in the United States will be competing against each other at the NRG Stadium in the city of Houston in Texas for this year’s Super Bowl. Such a massive sports event will be expected to draw crowds from across the country, with every fan sure to be talking about it through voice calls, text messaging, and data (via social media). Major US wireless carrier Sprint is ready to take on that amount of data, and has gamely made an effort to set up new network infrastructure as well as continuing to improve its network capacity.
According to a new survey conducted by financial analytics firm IHS Markit, 90 percent of wireless carriers already have successfully rolled out small cells, mainly in the form of outdoor installations in urban areas and also femtocell installations inside the homes of mobile users. As for the remaining 10 percent -- they have expressed plans to deploy small cells before the start of 2018.
It appears that Verizon Wireless is beginning to reverse its stance on the use of small cells. Back in March of 2012, the Big Red stated small cells would likely not have a big impact on the carrier's network.
But in this year alone, Verizon Wireless has been actually utilizing small cells to improve its current network. For instance, barely a week ago, we posted about the wireless carrier's plan to install 400 small cells in the city of San Francisco in order to boost LTE capacity in that area.
Mobile device users in the city of San Francisco may soon find themselves enjoying much enhanced 4G network speeds in specific locations in the next few months. That is because Verizon Wireless is planning to lay down 400 small cells (pint-sized transmitters) all over certain neighborhoods in the Fog City, including South of Market (SoMa), Financial District, Market Street, and North Beach.
Wirefly Is America's Most Trusted Source For All Cell Phones, Plans, TV, and Internet Deals
Wirefly offers great deals on a large selection of smartphones, cell phones, tablets, mobile hotspots, and other wireless devices for the nation's most popular carriers. Use Wirefly’s innovative cell phone and plan comparison tools to ensure you are getting the best deal on the market. Shop with confidence knowing that Wirefly wants to help you find the best prices on cell phones, cell phone plans, TV, and Internet service.